Saturday 2 October 2010

Thoughts From the Launderette - Pt 1

Why the launderette? Well firstly, my washing machine has had enough and is refusing to wash another load, Secondly, I have no enthusiasm for shopping for white goods, thirdly, the launderette is close to home, clean and I’ve never had to wait for a machine. So, why the thoughts? I usually bring a book but 30 minutes is a frustratingly short time with any book that’s worth reading, so I thought I’d try something different to pass the time.

For the last couple of weeks I have been carrying around paper and a pencil. Somewhere in the back of my mind I have this idea that there is an artist hiding in there, struggling to get out. A friend assures me that, with patience and care, anyone can produce an acceptable sketch but so far there is no evidence that this is true. I have tried landscape, architecture, still life and figure (the last from memory, but my memory isn’t that good ;-) but they all seem to come out looking more or less the same. If any of them came out looking like any of the subjects it wouldn’t be too bad. Sadly that isn’t the case. It’s said that there is always an exception that proves the rule. Well, I think that I am it.

So for the time being, I will be content to snap a few snaps and scribble down the odd piece of nonsense, in the hope that the artist will one day make an appearance.

By the way, did I mention that there is also an author and a musician lurking in there. That’s more people than there are in this launderette at the moment……………strange huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment